• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Clothing stores complaints

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
1,861
Points
890
Clothing stores only stocks two sizes: Too big, and too small.
 

Oldgateboatdriver

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
237
Points
680
Incorrect, DP.

All clothing stores have three sizes on hand: "Too big", "too small" and "Oops! We made a mistake: This one fits".

They don't let you keep anything in that last size, however.
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
"Too big", "too small" and "not in stock" are the three sizes.  :nod:

With apologies to my Sup Tech friends
 

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
42
Points
530
daftandbarmy said:
In defence of the clothing stores folks at Esquimalt, I've always found them very helpful.

Me: "Hi I'm here to get a set of the new NCDs. I'm going on exchange with the USN for a month and my CO and Coxn directed that they wanted me in the new NCDs."
Civi at the front desk: "What? Who said what now? You're not entitled to the new NCDs! You can't have those!" <turns around> "Master Seaman, this guy's saying his Coxn wants him the new NCDs".
Master Seaman sitting at his desk: "Makes sense to me. Let 'em have 'em."
Civi at the front desk: <visibly irate>
Me: <smirking>

(this WAS in Esquimalt back in 2010 just to be clear)
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,137
Points
940
Lumber said:
Me: "Hi I'm here to get a set of the new NCDs. I'm going on exchange with the USN for a month and my CO and Coxn directed that they wanted me in the new NCDs."
Civi at the front desk: "What? Who said what now? You're not entitled to the new NCDs! You can't have those!" <turns around> "Master Seaman, this guy's saying his Coxn wants him the new NCDs".
Master Seaman sitting at his desk: "Makes sense to me. Let 'em have 'em."
Civi at the front desk: <visibly irate>
Me: <smirking>

Where I'm at, that's considered "helpful".  Most places wouldn't have that MS applying "common sense" to the problem.

So are you getting the "new CADPAT but in black" ones?  They seem pretty sweet.
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
1,861
Points
890
Unless there's a plan to replace all old NCDs with the new ones, then the civilian was correct.  As long as your current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement.

"But I want the jammy new ones" would be rejected if a five year old said it.
 

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
410
Points
1,030
dapaterson said:
"But I want the jammy new ones" would be rejected if a five year old said it.

Yes, but a five year old would normally be cared for by a responsible adult not another five year old.
 

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
42
Points
530
dapaterson said:
Unless there's a plan to replace all old NCDs with the new ones, then the civilian was correct.  As long as your current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement.

"But I want the jammy new ones" would be rejected if a five year old said it.

This was in 2010 as we were transitioning from the NCDs without tons of pockets to the NCDs WITH tons of pockets.

And as I said, i was going on a month-long exchange with the USN, so my CoC (CO and Coxn) wanted me to wear the newest version of the NCDs.

I get that "if you're current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement" bit, but does that trump PR considerations for an international exchange?
 

gcclarke

Sr. Member
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Lumber said:
This was in 2010 as we were transitioning from the NCDs without tons of pockets to the NCDs WITH tons of pockets.

And as I said, i was going on a month-long exchange with the USN, so my CoC (CO and Coxn) wanted me to wear the newest version of the NCDs.

I get that "if you're current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement" bit, but does that trump PR considerations for an international exchange?

Well, I would say no. And your CoC's opinions on the matter are especially irrelevant.

I don't think the "PR" considerations arguments holds any water. Like Anyone in the USN really gives a hoot about how many pockets your NCDs have. No one's going to notice, let alone care.

This to me seems like the Civilian was applying the policies that he was directed to apply, as laid out by his superiors, while the Master Seaman decided to just ignore what he was supposed to do because you had a "good enough" excuse. Meanwhile, I'm sure that most people here would be pissed as hell if their subordinates decided to just ignore the policies and orders that they have been directed to follow.
 

kratz

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
34
Points
630
Internationally, Navies tend to "show the flag", rub shoulders and other PR functions wherever they are. With this in mind, I understand the CoC desire for Lumber being directed to be turned out in the newest kit. Agreed, normally the request would have been rejected.
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
405
Points
880
dapaterson said:
Unless there's a plan to replace all old NCDs with the new ones, then the civilian was correct.  As long as your current uniform is serviceable, there is no entitlement for replacement.

"But I want the jammy new ones" would be rejected if a five year old said it.

Dapaterson is 100%. 
 

gcclarke

Sr. Member
Reaction score
1
Points
0
kratz said:
Internationally, Navies tend to "show the flag", rub shoulders and other PR functions wherever they are. With this in mind, I understand the CoC desire for Lumber being directed to be turned out in the newest kit. Agreed, normally the request would have been rejected.

I can understand the CO wanting that, but I would expect there to be a massive difference between some CO somewhere wanting something to happen, and that thing actually happening because it's been approved by an appropriate authority.

I don't see how an exchange is sufficient reason to justify deviation from the normal operating procedures and guidelines passed on down by said appropriate authority. But if it is indeed that important, the appropriate way of doing that is by the CO contacting their counterpart in BLog to request deviation from someone who actually has the authority to authorize such deviations from the policy.
 

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
42
Points
530
Alright then...

What about NCD collars that have become frayed? You know, where it starts showing "white" at the peak of the collar?

If the NCD shrts are otherwise in good condition, would they be considered still "serviceable" and therefore ineligible for replacement?
 

gcclarke

Sr. Member
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Lumber said:
Alright then...

What about NCD collars that have become frayed? You know, where it starts showing "white" at the peak of the collar?

If the NCD shrts are otherwise in good condition, would they be considered still "serviceable" and therefore ineligible for replacement?

I don't know of any definition of "serviceable" for which said fraying would render it otherwise.
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
405
Points
880
Lumber said:
Alright then...

What about NCD collars that have become frayed? You know, where it starts showing "white" at the peak of the collar?

If the NCD shrts are otherwise in good condition, would they be considered still "serviceable" and therefore ineligible for replacement?

If the uniforms are worn out they should be replaced via a 1 for 1 exchange. 

If they are simply mid life they should not be exchanged.

But as said above the appropriate way for this to have played out would have been for the two commands to chat and see if allowances can be made in your circumstances.

H
 

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
483
Points
880
gcclarke said:
I don't know of any definition of "serviceable" for which said fraying would render it otherwise.

Do you know of any definition of “serviceable” for which said fraying would not render it otherwise?
 

gcclarke

Sr. Member
Reaction score
1
Points
0
SupersonicMax said:
Do you know of any definition of “serviceable” for which said fraying would not render it otherwise?

Fraying at the collar is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. The item is still perfectly good at doing what it's designed to do.
 

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,137
Points
940
gcclarke said:
Fraying at the collar is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. The item is still perfectly good at doing what it's designed to do.

And to think that people used to purposely do that to show they had "time in".

http://www.ivy-style.com/the-old-money-look-princeton-boys-and-the-sandpapered-shirt-collar.html
 

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
42
Points
530
I would love to see a Cdr/Capt(N)/Commodore on TV in NCDs with a frayed collar, and when asked why his uniform didn't look like it was in good, professional order, he responds with "Well, the supply team said that, other than frayed collars, all my shirts were still serviceable, and were therefore not eligible for replacement, so, here I am!"

Oh wait, that wouldn't never actually happen.
 
Top