• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How capable is the RCN?

EnchantedEng

Guest
Subscriber
Reaction score
0
Points
10
I came across this article which partly talks about the Turkish maritime capability and some issues in the region: https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/2020/08/13/turkey-is-up-against-some-formidable-navies-in-the-eastern-mediterranean/

If I am not mistaken, Op Reassurance places the RCN frigates not too far from Turkey and the said issues.

I wonder how our frigates will fare, if say, were to get into a one time scuffle with one of Turkey's Corvettes or Frigates?

In the same line of thinking, how ready would the RCN be for a potential state of war?
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
4,509
Points
1,060
EnchantedEng said:
I came across this article which partly talks about the Turkish maritime capability and some issues in the region: https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/2020/08/13/turkey-is-up-against-some-formidable-navies-in-the-eastern-mediterranean/

If I am not mistaken, Op Reassurance places the RCN frigates not too far from Turkey and the said issues.

I wonder how our frigates will fare, if say, were to get into a one time scuffle with one of Turkey's Corvettes or Frigates?

In the same line of thinking, how ready would the RCN be for a potential state of war?

Given that all three countries are 'NATO Allies', I assume that this is a moot point.

Regardless, AFAIK, all navies are 'ready, aye, ready' when they are deployed on any kind of operation, and few will fight alone.
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
502
Points
910
EnchantedEng said:
I came across this article which partly talks about the Turkish maritime capability and some issues in the region: https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/2020/08/13/turkey-is-up-against-some-formidable-navies-in-the-eastern-mediterranean/

If I am not mistaken, Op Reassurance places the RCN frigates not too far from Turkey and the said issues.

I wonder how our frigates will fare, if say, were to get into a one time scuffle with one of Turkey's Corvettes or Frigates?

In the same line of thinking, how ready would the RCN be for a potential state of war?

We operate with the Turkish Navy in NATO battle groups and in its its front an back yards on Op Reassurance. 

I have full confidence in our operators that in a 1 on 1 stand up fight we would come out on top.  My only worry would be the serviceability of various equipment systems at any given time.

The RCN is as ready as we can be for a war. 
 

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
810
Points
1,010
EnchantedEng said:
I came across this article which partly talks about the Turkish maritime capability and some issues in the region: https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/2020/08/13/turkey-is-up-against-some-formidable-navies-in-the-eastern-mediterranean/

If I am not mistaken, Op Reassurance places the RCN frigates not too far from Turkey and the said issues.

I wonder how our frigates will fare, if say, were to get into a one time scuffle with one of Turkey's Corvettes or Frigates?

In the same line of thinking, how ready would the RCN be for a potential state of war?

Our sailors are head and shoulders above the Turks, particularly the senior officers and technicians.  That's important.  Turkey has some very new and good ships and some very old and terrible ones as well.  Assuming sea room to fight and no supporting cast I would take our frigates over theirs any day of the week.  But naval battles are not fought that way. And mutual destruction is a thing.
 

NavyShooter

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
532
Points
990
Our ships are more capable than they ever have been. 

ESSM RIM-162
Harpoons
57mm Bofors
CIWS

Plus the sensor integration and fleet interoperability with our allies...yes...our ships are quite capable.

Are there more deadly/better armed ships?  Yup.  Ours are pretty good too though.

NS

 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
4,509
Points
1,060
NavyShooter said:
Our ships are more capable than they ever have been. 

ESSM RIM-162
Harpoons
57mm Bofors
CIWS

Plus the sensor integration and fleet interoperability with our allies...yes...our ships are quite capable.

Are there more deadly/better armed ships?  Yup.  Ours are pretty good too though.

NS

I think we've got some really well trained boarding party folks too, which wasn't always the case.

I have no idea how they'd stack up against the opposition but I'm sure, knowing some of the trainers, they'd be hard to ignore if required ;)
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
502
Points
910
NavyShooter said:
Our ships are more capable than they ever have been. 

ESSM RIM-162
Harpoons
57mm Bofors
CIWS

Plus the sensor integration and fleet interoperability with our allies...yes...our ships are quite capable.

Are there more deadly/better armed ships?  Yup.  Ours are pretty good too though.

NS

When they work, and when they have constant supply lines.

daftandbarmy said:
I think we've got some really well trained boarding party folks too, which wasn't always the case.

I have no idea how they'd stack up against the opposition but I'm sure, knowing some of the trainers, they'd be hard to ignore if required ;)

Ya, I have deployed with them twice and I cannot support your dissertations.
 

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
695
Points
990
Halifax Tar said:
Ya, I have deployed with them twice and I cannot support your dissertations.


RCN boarding teams aren't up to snuff, Halifax??  (I always like to listen to you guys who actually deploy in these specific environments, always learn something) 
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
502
Points
910
CBH99 said:
RCN boarding teams aren't up to snuff, Halifax??  (I always like to listen to you guys who actually deploy in these specific environments, always learn something)

I am referring to NTOG.  They are talented, no doubt.  But no real usage now.  They have essentially become an outstanding training group for a skill we aren't utilizing.  I would fold them into SOF proper and let that empire contribute, as required, to Naval Ops.
 

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
695
Points
990
Boarding ships is a skill we aren't using?

Is that because we are focusing less on Somali coast / Persian Gulf operations, and more on NATO groups?
 

Humphrey Bogart

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
657
Points
1,040
Halifax Tar said:
I am referring to NTOG.  They are talented, no doubt.  But no real usage now.  They have essentially become an outstanding training group for a skill we aren't utilizing.  I would fold them into SOF proper and let that empire contribute, as required, to Naval Ops.

I disagree, if anything what should happen is NST and the Regular Boarding Parties should be rolled up and done anyway with. They serve no real purpose at all.

Just because something isn't being used atm doesn't mean you do away with it.  Rather, NTOG should look for expanded roles and capabilities so they can provide more value.
 

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
42
Points
530
CBH99 said:
Boarding ships is a skill we aren't using?

Is that because we are focusing less on Somali coast / Persian Gulf operations, and more on NATO groups?

Essential, yes.
 

Humphrey Bogart

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
657
Points
1,040
Lumber said:
Essential, yes.

But you could make the same arguments for any number of CAF capabilities.  Clearance Divers aren't really doing EOD because Afghanistan ended, so we should get rid of that. 

NTOG gives the Navy a far better VBSS capability than it previously had, for what is really pennies in the overall budget and also pennies in terms of man power.
 

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
42
Points
530
Humphrey Bogart said:
But you could make the same arguments for any number of CAF capabilities.  Clearance Divers aren't really doing EOD because Afghanistan ended, so we should get rid of that. 

NTOG gives the Navy a far better VBSS capability than it previously had, for what is really pennies in the overall budget and also pennies in terms of man power.

I think you quoted the wrong person?

I was just answering the question "why arent we using NTOG as much" and it's simply to do with they nature of OP REASSURANCE and OP PROJECTION.
 

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
384
Points
930
So when I joined back in the last century, the first CPF had not been accepted from the builder yet.  But:

We had 3 AOR's available
3 serviceable SSK's
4 280's being TRUMPed to become AAWD Command and Control ships

On the downside the Mackenzies, IRE's, St Laurents, Nipigon and Annapolis were at best missile sponges.
NLBP was a joke (we were still saddled with whalers and MWB)
The reserves has the Pigs.

As I reach the twilight years; here is where we stand

The good
FFH's with the Cyclones are very capable for ASW, close in AAW and ASuW (reloads are an issue).
Naval Boarding is light years ahead of what I experienced in 90's and the 00ts you youngsters here have no idea how bad it was back then.
If we could get the SSK's out of the yard they are still very capable and dangerous. (no replacement on the horizon though  ???)

The not so good
MCDV's - what can I say, they are what they are.
AOPS - Personal opinion only; they are what they are, a remote supply vessel with limited sovereignty/patrol capability.

The bad (but is there light on the horizon?)
1 AOR, ONE BLOODY AOR AND ITS TAKEN 25 YEARS TO GET TO THIS POINT? WHAT A COLOSSAL UTTER FUBAR'D SCREWED UP PROCESS! (Granted 2 more are building but it should never have come to this)
15 CSC (with C3? AAWD? Will we even get 15? 10? 5?)
Recruiting, Training, Refresher Training, Regenerative Training, Retention. All are issues that will be/are biting us in the arse. 


Thats my assessment of the status of the RCN today. We've advanced but we've also slipped. 
 

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
4,509
Points
1,060
FSTO said:
So when I joined back in the last century, the first CPF had not been accepted from the builder yet.  But:

We had 3 AOR's available
3 serviceable SSK's
4 280's being TRUMPed to become AAWD Command and Control ships

On the downside the Mackenzies, IRE's, St Laurents, Nipigon and Annapolis were at best missile sponges.
NLBP was a joke (we were still saddled with whalers and MWB)
The reserves has the Pigs.

As I reach the twilight years; here is where we stand

The good
FFH's with the Cyclones are very capable for ASW, close in AAW and ASuW (reloads are an issue).
Naval Boarding is light years ahead of what I experienced in 90's and the 00ts you youngsters here have no idea how bad it was back then.
If we could get the SSK's out of the yard they are still very capable and dangerous. (no replacement on the horizon though  ???)

The not so good
MCDV's - what can I say, they are what they are.
AOPS - Personal opinion only; they are what they are, a remote supply vessel with limited sovereignty/patrol capability.

The bad (but is there light on the horizon?)
1 AOR, ONE BLOODY AOR AND ITS TAKEN 25 YEARS TO GET TO THIS POINT? WHAT A COLOSSAL UTTER FUBAR'D SCREWED UP PROCESS! (Granted 2 more are building but it should never have come to this)
15 CSC (with C3? AAWD? Will we even get 15? 10? 5?)
Recruiting, Training, Refresher Training, Regenerative Training, Retention. All are issues that will be/are biting us in the arse. 


Thats my assessment of the status of the RCN today. We've advanced but we've also slipped.

But hey... 'Morale Patches', right? :)
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
502
Points
910
Humphrey Bogart said:
I disagree, if anything what should happen is NST and the Regular Boarding Parties should be rolled up and done anyway with. They serve no real purpose at all.

Just because something isn't being used atm doesn't mean you do away with it.  Rather, NTOG should look for expanded roles and capabilities so they can provide more value.

I don't disagree with your first point.  The NST was established to try and take some strain off of ships company's and their duty watches while on deployment(s).  I think its a good idea but with our limited manning and monies I don't think its unreasonable to ask ships to fill the required foreign port duty watches when required. 

If you want to expand NTOG it needs to leave the RCN and join SOF or become its own trade.  Right now they are essentially expensive and manpower draining alongside FP groups.

Humphrey Bogart said:
But you could make the same arguments for any number of CAF capabilities.  Clearance Divers aren't really doing EOD because Afghanistan ended, so we should get rid of that. 

NTOG gives the Navy a far better VBSS capability than it previously had, for what is really pennies in the overall budget and also pennies in terms of man power.

Just a couple of points, and I cant believe I am going to stick up for divers lol.  I know FDU(A) gets called out weekly for some sort of UXO that is reported to authorities.

The VBSS capability sure is a step up.  But its defiantly not pennies on the budget and defiantly not pennies in terms of man power.  Also while we would like to have capabilities is this an actually required capability the RCN should have ?  Or is this more of the CAF just trying to me a jack of all trades instead of a master of a few ?  Give it to SOF!  Its in their wheel house! 

NTOG is an excellent example of a capability dreamed up and put into reality without building the foundation first.  The drain this organization is having on already distressed Naval trades is not to be ignored, these sailors are required to maintain their quals in their home trades and still fall under them for career management its a mess and creates animosity within trades. 

As for budgetary effect seeing as I have supported them for over a year of my life while deployed I can tell you they sure can eat through a budget, fast.  The fact NTOG is years old and still doesn't have a proper scale of issue and the knock on effect that has created with Ships boarding teams means capability and kitting can now vary from ship to ship.

Again push these teams into the SOF empire equip them and man them properly and then use as required for Naval Ops. 
 

Oldgateboatdriver

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
246
Points
680
FSTO said:
So when I joined back in the last century, the first CPF had not been accepted from the builder yet.  But:

We had 3 AOR's available
3 serviceable SSK's
4 280's being TRUMPed to become AAWD Command and Control ships

On the downside the Mackenzies, IRE's, St Laurents, Nipigon and Annapolis were at best missile sponges.
NLBP was a joke (we were still saddled with whalers and MWB)
The reserves has the Pigs.

As I reach the twilight years; here is where we stand

The good
FFH's with the Cyclones are very capable for ASW, close in AAW and ASuW (reloads are an issue).
Naval Boarding is light years ahead of what I experienced in 90's and the 00ts you youngsters here have no idea how bad it was back then.
If we could get the SSK's out of the yard they are still very capable and dangerous. (no replacement on the horizon though  ???)

The not so good
MCDV's - what can I say, they are what they are.
AOPS - Personal opinion only; they are what they are, a remote supply vessel with limited sovereignty/patrol capability.

The bad (but is there light on the horizon?)
1 AOR, ONE BLOODY AOR AND ITS TAKEN 25 YEARS TO GET TO THIS POINT? WHAT A COLOSSAL UTTER FUBAR'D SCREWED UP PROCESS! (Granted 2 more are building but it should never have come to this)
15 CSC (with C3? AAWD? Will we even get 15? 10? 5?)
Recruiting, Training, Refresher Training, Regenerative Training, Retention. All are issues that will be/are biting us in the arse. 


Thats my assessment of the status of the RCN today. We've advanced but we've also slipped.

:goodpost:  That. Exactly.

I will add that in-between those two state of affairs, there was a period where we had AOR's (OK getting old but still effective), Trumped IRO's for AAW and young effective frigates (the HAL's). In those days, an all Canadian task force of one AOR, one IRO and two HALs was indeed a very powerful naval force compared to most countries in the world. We are unfortunately not there anymore and to get somewhat back there, I sincerely hope that the first four CSC's that come out of ISL are the one optimized for AAW.
 

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
502
Points
910
Oldgateboatdriver said:
:goodpost:  That. Exactly.

I will add that in-between those two state of affairs, there was a period where we had AOR's (OK getting old but still effective), Trumped IRO's for AAW and young effective frigates (the HAL's). In those days, an all Canadian task force of one AOR, one IRO and two HALs was indeed a very powerful naval force compared to most countries in the world. We are unfortunately not there anymore and to get somewhat back there, I sincerely hope that the first four CSC's that come out of ISL are the one optimized for AAW.

OGB, ya those were the days.

Wondering about your opinion.  Should we have built another Asterix and used the USNS and RFA examples and went with more civilian crewing on these platforms ?
 
Top