• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Re-Royalization", "Re-Britification" and the Heritage Transformation

The RCN has its old rank titles and executive curl back. What should be the next step for the CF ra

• Nothing. The current rank system works, so leave it alone.

Votes: 128 55.9%
  • Complete return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 47 20.5%
  • Complete return to post unification ranks of the 70s and early 80s.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Officers only return to the pre-unification ranks of the 50s and early 60s.

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Copy the UK rank system - it is the prototype anyway.

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Copy the US rank system - they are the new colonial master.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Create a whole new Canadian system.

• Lobby for standardized NATO rank insignia.

• Copy the French rank system - it is the other founding nation's turn

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

PuckChaser

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
And to confuse things further, are RCAF DEU SOF folks allowed to wear the tan beret in DEU 1 now?

It used to be that they had to wear a tan backing on the wedge.
I'd ask the RCAF CWO. A few years ago they weren't even allowed the tan backing in the wedge.

PuckChaser

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure CANSOF cares much what he thinks…
RCAF controls the DEU, so they control the hats. I heard there was a short lived proposal that all members of CANSOF be issued the SOF DEU, to remove the silly little bun fights over berets, but obviously that's cost prohibitive for folks with only 2-3 service times in CANSOFCOM.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
RCAF controls the DEU, so they control the hats. I heard there was a short lived proposal that all members of CANSOF be issued the SOF DEU, to remove the silly little bun fights over berets, but obviously that's cost prohibitive for folks with only 2-3 service times in CANSOFCOM.

RCAF Comd advises on AF DEU vice controls…

2B11DA44-5E4A-4529-8F8F-E701CC5A8924.png

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Which is weird because aren’t SAR folks allowed to wear the wedge in DEU 1?

They were forced to wear the wedge a few years back, and not happily if what I heard was accurate. SAR Techs only wore their beret up until that point for as long I can remember, including in No 1 and 3.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I’m smart enough to know the decision isn’t Comd RCAFs to make. Like my advice/opinion to my Officers, it’s taken into consideration but not necessarily adopted. If it is adopted, it’s not “my” policy.

The fact stands; the RCAF Comd doesn’t control air DEU policy. They are the biggest influencer, but it would be interesting to see what side the coin would fall on if Comd SOF pushed hard for the change to tan beret.

Last edited:

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Here’s the latest/greatest on Air DEU posted to SOF…my personal opinion is the tan beret should be allowed in all orders. They earn it. I also didn’t agree with the change that made SAR Techs have to wear the head wallet either.

6EF29A82-7E92-470F-A796-C8823EE6040F.png