• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
In our county - we have both Sheriff and Police SRO’s (depending if your inside the town or not) and Security Officers (retired LEO’s). Honestly the SRO’s and SO’s are super friendly to the kids, and I don’t think anyone could claim they are causing issues. I used to volunteer at an elementary school (pre COVID) to help kids read - a lot of the kids I had did have family issues, but regardless they all thought Officer George (the SO) was their best friend regardless of race.

I know a lot of Departments tend to put junk as SRO’s and you get what you put in to Community Policing.

It’s upsetting to me that we need SRO’s, magnetic locking doors and bullet resistant glass in schools, but that’s a function of our rather dysfunctional society.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting - Evan Solomon interviewing Marco Mendicino. He asks some good questions. Maybe Canadians are starting to see the hypocrisy of this "science-based" government...

TBH I can't recall where Evan Solomon stands on the media bias meter... But maybe the media is making an estimate who is going to butter their bread after the next election. I don't want the media on anyone's side, I want them to be the 4th estate but I think that ship sailed long ago.

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The legal handgun transfer freeze is set to drop on us any day now. The CSAAA has been told that it likely will not occur before the Thanksgiving weekend.

The Deputy Minister for Public Safety stated yesterday in SECU committee that lawful transfers in progress on the date the freeze is implemented will be finalized as per existing business rules. I expected otherwise.

If you're transferring a smuggled handgun in a Toronto back alley between Five Point Generalz members, none of this applies to you.

Skysix

Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking there really does need to be some sort of "common sense formula" created & implemented in a variety of public domains to help reduce the amount of absurdly stupid shit that society has to put up with these days?

Let's eliminate police from schools because it may trigger students who see them? Why would they be triggered? And wtf does it even mean for an elementary aged kid to be triggered, anyway?

So instead of trusting the police & growing up building a good relationship and understanding of them, and vice versa, we should further alienate and separate a community from those who protect it?

I wish the people who suggest these things would just go disappear, Thanos style. FFS...
Except that the resource officers are being used to enforce teachers discipline and often have little discretion over minor offenses, thus losing the opportunity to build relationships and trust and becoming even more the enemy

Booter

Reaction score
Except that the resource officers are being used to enforce teachers discipline and often have little discretion over minor offenses, thus losing the opportunity to build relationships and trust and becoming even more the enemy
Can you give me a Canadian example of this?

calculus

Reaction score
The legal handgun transfer freeze is set to drop on us any day now. The CSAAA has been told that it likely will not occur before the Thanksgiving weekend.

The Deputy Minister for Public Safety stated yesterday in SECU committee that lawful transfers in progress on the date the freeze is implemented will be finalized as per existing business rules. I expected otherwise.

If you're transferring a smuggled handgun in a Toronto back alley between Five Point Generalz members, none of this applies to you.
I just got my Ruger 22/45 yesterday. Ordered May 31st. Still waiting for a Walther PDP, ordered 31 July. Update from the vendor is that it could be another 2-3 months before the CFO approves the transfer. I'm hoping transfers in progress will actually be honoured, but with this government, I will not be holding my breath...

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I'm hoping transfers in progress will actually be honoured, but with this government, I will not be holding my breath...
At Tuesday's SECU session, the Public Safety ADM Talal Dakalbab stated that all transfers already in progress will be completed even after the freeze takes effect. Any transfer submitted after the freeze date will be denied.

But all it will take is one major incident to bring on a draconian overreaction, regardless of the license status of the perp.