• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

Kirkhill

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
A Line from Maple Creek to Dauphin would suck up a lot troops is all I’m saying.
Very, very true that.

Suffield is about the size of the area of Northern Donetsk cleared over this past week or two.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
So I superimposed the Ukraine on the Prairies to give myself some perspective of the distances involved in this front.
I tossed in our bases on the prairies and SAC Minot ND for further reference.
View attachment 74017
You have placed Ukraine on the Ex UNIFIED RESOLVE trace that was recently retired after many years of use. If those exercises taught anything, it is that 3 or 4 divisions should be more than enough to quickly and decisively clear the whole thing.

… unless maybe those exercises did not reflect a sound use of resources.

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
You have placed Ukraine on the Ex UNIFIED RESOLVE trace that was recently retired after many years of use. If those exercises taught anything, it is that 3 or 4 divisions should be more than enough to quickly and decisively clear the whole thing.

… unless maybe those exercises did not reflect a sound use of resources.
Totally unintentional on my part. ☺️

Eaglelord17

Reaction score
Interesting shot on a MG-42 mounted on the jeep towards end of clip.
If I had to guess its likely a German MG3 which is their updated to 7.62 NATO version of the MG-42. Considering they are slowly replacing the MG3 with the MG 5 there is also likely a good amount of them available to send as aid to Ukraine.

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
If I had to guess its likely a German MG3 which is their updated to 7.62 NATO version of the MG-42. Considering they are slowly replacing the MG3 with the MG 5 there is also likely a good amount of them available to send as aid to Ukraine.
Agree. I did not see any listing of old MG42's in the Ukrainian inventory but Germany has donated a limited number of MG3s.

🍻

Retired AF Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry, you are absolutely right. Just finished reading Ben McIntyres Rogue Hero's about the SAS in WW2, so my brain is still in WW2 mode.

Skysix

Reaction score
Remember the sunflower seeds in your pockets grandma back in March?

Someone did a very good cartoon using that theme. If not deliberate anti-war propoganda aimed at the Russian hinterland I would be surprised. Still good though.

Spencer100

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Thoughts

If and when this is over and Ukraine can pull out a W, the Ukrainian army will be the most experienced army in the world with nation to nation modern combat. Will they be ones training others in the future?

One more thought is if not else Ukrainians are winning the PR side of battle in a landside. The amount and quality of video, internet, media etc. is amazing. Yes the Russian have lost some of the global connections to get their side and point out but the stuff coming out is still not as good. I think this will be one of the biggest area that will be studied and talked about in the future. It has really helped them turn the tables.

Skysix

Reaction score
Nicely done prisoner capture. Female section leader. If I count it right one of the grunts has 6x30 on his NATO plate carrier and another 6x30 on each hip in a SovBlock belt/pouch rig attached under the carrier.

And just in case 570 7.62/5.45x39 isn't enough another 5 pistol mags uunder each arm for a total of 133 9mm if one is in the chamber!

Screenshot_20221005-135116~2.pngScreenshot_20221005-134838~2.png